There are millions of people out there who play in NFL survivor pools. These are very popular at work and at sports bars from around the country.
The object is to pick one winner a week and to be the last person standing. Different pools have different rules.
Some will only allow you to pick a team once, while others let you pick a team multiple times. Also, some are single-loss elimination, while others allow you to have multiple losses before you can be eliminated.
I am going to go through every week and list six teams that are worth a look in your survivor pool. I will separate them by Tier 1 (two best options), Tier 2 (3rd & 4th best options), and Tier 3 (5th & 6th best options).
For those of you who can only pick a team once throughout the season, this will give you several different teams to choose from. That’s how most survivor pools work. Good luck this year!
I went 5-1 on my survivor pool picks last week to follow up a 6-0 Week 13. My lone loss was my No. 2 selection on the Packers as they were upset by the Cardinals, but I won on the Chiefs, Seahawks, Rams, Titans and Eagles. There are plenty more good options to choose from in Week 14 with several big favorites.
As you’ll notice throughout the season, I’ll refer to the point spreads when making my selections because I think this is the best way to do it. The oddsmakers in Vegas are very good at what they do. It’s a good starting point when making your picks as well.
1) Los Angeles Chargers – The Chargers are the biggest favorites this week. They are laying 14 points to the Cincinnati Bengals in Los Angeles. It’s a Bengals team that is just 1-6 in their last seven games overall thanks to being decimated by injuries. They’re without Andy Dalton and AJ Green, and they have the worst defense in the NFL. The Chargers have a lot to play for right now so they won’t be taking the Bengals lightly.
2) Pittsburgh Steelers – The Steelers look to rebound from two straight losses that they never should have lost to the Broncos and Chargers. Now they’re just 0.5 games ahead of the Ravens for first place in the division. They can’t afford to take the Raiders lightly. The Raiders are one of the worst teams in the NFL right now, especially defensively, so the Steelers should be able to score at will. That’s why Pittsburgh is a 10.5-point favorite at Oakland this week.
3) New Orleans Saints – New Orleans is coming off its worst performance of the season, a 10-13 loss to the Dallas Cowboys. And now the Saints want to avenge their only other loss this season, which was to the Bucs way back in Week 1. The Saints also come in on extra rest having played the Cowboys last Thursday, and having extra rest this time of year is huge. The Saints are 8-point road favorites over the Bucs this week and should get a win here.
4) New England Patriots – The Patriots have the inside track to the No. 2 seed in the AFC if they win out, and possibly the No. 1 if they get some help from the Chiefs. They won’t be taking the Dolphins lightly, especially after losing in Miami last year. This is a bad Dolphins team that was outgained by over 200 yards by the Bills last week and did not deserve to win that game. They won’t be so fortunate this week, facing a Patriots team that already beat them 38-7 in their first meeting this year. The Patriots are 7.5-point road favorites over the Dolphins this week.
5) Kansas City Chiefs – The Chiefs are 6.5-point home favorites over the Baltimore Ravens this week. The Ravens have been rolling with Lamar Jackson at quarterback, but those three wins came against the Bengals, Raiders and Falcons. They take a big step up in class here, and Jackson will be hard-pressed to match Pat Mahomes and this high-powered Chiefs offense score for score this week. I expect the Chiefs to win at home here.
6) Green Bay Packers – The Packers and Falcons are two lost teams right now. But I expect the Packers to show up this week with the coaching change, and Aaron Rodgers plays to win every game he enters. The Falcons appear to have quit against the Ravens last week. The Packers are 5-point home favorites over the Falcons this week. Atlanta is a dome team that does not enjoy playing outdoors, especially in 20-degree weather like it will be in Green Bay on Sunday.