There are millions of people out there who play in NFL survivor pools. These are very popular at work and at sports bars from around the country.
The object is to pick one winner a week and to be the last person standing. Different pools have different rules.
Some will only allow you to pick a team once, while others let you pick a team multiple times. Also, some are single-loss elimination, while others allow you to have multiple losses before you can be eliminated.
I am going to go through every week and list six teams that are worth a look in your survivor pool. I will separate them by Tier 1 (two best options), Tier 2 (3rd & 4th best options), and Tier 3 (5th & 6th best options).
For those of you who can only pick a team once throughout the season, this will give you several different teams to choose from. That’s how most survivor pools work. Good luck this year!
I went 5-1 on my survivor pool picks last week with the Bears, Chiefs, Panthers, Patriots and Vikings all winning their games. I lost my fourth choice on the Cowboys, who were upset at home by the Tennessee Titans. There are several big favorites to choose from in Week 10.
As you’ll notice throughout the season, I’ll refer to the point spreads when making my selections because I think this is the best way to do it. The oddsmakers in Vegas are very good at what they do. It’s a good starting point when making your picks as well.
1) Kansas City Chiefs – The Chiefs are the biggest favorites on the board this week. They are laying 16.5 points to the Arizona Cardinals at Arrowhead Stadium. The Cardinals are off their bye week, so they could keep it competitive early, but I just don’t know how they are going to hang with the Chiefs for four quarters. We have a Kansas City offense that’s averaging 36.3 points per game up against an Arizona offense that is mustering only 13.7 points per game this season. Enough said.
2) Green Bay Packers – The Packers return home in need of a victory this week. They played both the Rams and Patriots tough on the road the last two weeks and actually had a chance to win both games late, but failed to do so. They should be able to beat the Miami Dolphins at Lambeau Field this week as 10-point favorites. The Packers are 3-0-1 at home this season and rarely lose when Aaron Rodgers is under center on their home turf. The Dolphins still have Brock Osweiler at quarterback, and they’re just 1-3 on the road this season, losing by 13.0 points per game on average.
3) Los Angeles Chargers – The Chargers might be the most underrated team in the NFL over the past few seasons. They’ve gone 16-4 in their last 20 games overall dating back to last year. They are 6-2 this year with their only losses coming to the Chiefs and Rams, arguably the two best teams in the NFL. They have reeled off five straight victories, which included a 26-10 win over the Raiders. And these Raiders appear to have quit with four straight losses all by 14 points or more, including their embarrassing 3-34 loss to the 49ers last week. The Chargers are 10-point road favorites over the Raiders this week.
4) Los Angeles Rams – The Rams return home off their first loss of the season to the Saints, which is obviously a forgivable loss considering how well the Saints are playing right now. And they are 10-point home favorites against the Seattle Seahawks this week. They’ll be looking to sweep the season series with the Seahawks after winning in Seattle earlier this season. It’s just hard to believe the Seahawks have the firepower to keep up with the Rams score for score. This is a Rams offense that is putting up 33.2 points per game on the season.
5) New York Jets – The Jets are going to Josh McCown at quarterback this week because Sam Darnold is out with a foot injury. I actually think McCown is an upgrade over Darnold because he’s one of the best backups in the league and could start for a handful of teams right now. He has proven himself time and time again when given a chance. And Darnold has the luxury of having a healthy Enunwa and Anderson at receiver this week. The Jets host the Bills, who are 2-7 this season and getting outscored by 16.1 points per game. They have the worst offense in the league at 10.7 points per game. The Jets are 7-point favorites at home over the Bills this week.
6) Philadelphia Eagles – The Eagles are primed to make a push in the second half of the season after a disappointing 4-4 start. Carson Wentz has returned to form, and now he has another weapon at his disposal in Golden Tate, whom the Eagles traded for prior to the deadline. They still have one of the best defenses in the NFL. And now they’re coming off their bye week and hosting the Cowboys, who are on a short week after losing on Monday Night Football. The Eagles are 7-point home favorites here in this favorable spot for them and they should win this game.