During football season a great way to make a little extra cash is with teasers. The average gambler either plays this type of bet completely wrong, or they don’t understand what they are doing and thus avoid it altogether. If you have never tried a teaser bet then you are missing out on what I think is a great way to build your bankroll during the football season.
Today we are going to be analyzing the 10-point teaser. This simply means that you are being given 10 additional points for your teams, but they all have to win or else your wager is lost. For 10 point teasers the payouts normally go something like this:
#2 out of 2 pays -210
# 3 out of 3 pays -110
# 4 out of 4 pays +136
# 5 out of 5 pays +195
# 6 out of 6 pays +265
# 7 out of 7 pays +355
# 8 out of 8 pays +465
# 9 out of 9 pays +610
# 10 out of 10 pays +800
# 11 out of 11 pays +1025
# 12 out of 12 pays +1325
# 13 out of 13 pays +1700
# 14 out of 14 pays +2200
# 15 out of 15 pays +2850
All payouts are for $100 wagers. A (-) minus sign means you have to lay that much to win $100, a (+) plus sign means $100 bet wins you that amount.
So what is the best strategy with these bets? Here is our guide to playing 10 point teasers, remember to tease the number and not the team. That means that you really want to take advantage of getting the best odds and not worry as much about handicapping an individual teams chances of winning. You want to make it past as many key numbers as you can.
Ten point teaser are pretty simple in comparison to 6.5 point teasers.
- Tease +1.5 to +11.5 and +2 to +12, but then stay away until you get to +4.5 to +6.5. I don’t recommend teasing 6, 6.5 or 7 up.
- You should consider teasing -6 or -6.5 down to +4 and +3.5, but don’t touch 10 either way.
- If you tease -10.5 down to -1.5 then you are in essence getting 11.5 points, but a +10 to a +20 puts you in danger of a three touchdown split.
- The best 10 point teaser numbers are 11.5 to 12.5 both ways. If it’s a double digit favorite then they only need to win the game by less than a field goal and a dog gets a full extra score when they are bumped up to 21.5 or 22.
Now this doesn’t mean just jump in and tease every game that is sitting on either 11.5 or 12, that would be pretty mindless and stupid. You should continue to do your handicapping and if the numbers make sense for a play either way then it’s time to unload on it. I don’t put as much time handicapping the actual matchups as much with teasers as I do when betting sides or totals, but it’s not just blindingly throwing action out there either.
Another example when a 10 point teaser is great.
Iowa is a -19.5 favorite at home against Iowa State. If you like Iowa then lay -9.5 to get the key numbers on your side, so the better team needs to win by only a touchdown and a field goal.
If you can make a case for Iowa State then you get +29.5 with lots of key numbers in there that can’t beat you.
- Baltimore Orioles at Boston Red Sox Free MLB Picks for 4/19/15
- Philadelphia Phillies at Washington Nationals Free MLB Picks for 4/19/15
- Atlanta Braves at Toronto Blue Jays Free MLB Picks for 4/19/15
- Chicago White Sox at Detroit Tigers Free MLB Picks for 4/19/15
- New York Yankees at Tampa Bay Rays Free MLB Picks for 4/19/15
- Miami Marlins at New York Mets Free MLB Picks for 4/19/15
- Milwaukee Brewers at Pittsburgh Pirates Free MLB Picks for 4/19/15
- Jack’s Free Sports Picks: 4/18
- Dallas Mavericks at Houston Rockets Free NBA Picks for 4/18/15
- San Diego Padres at Chicago Cubs Free MLB Picks for 4/18/15
- Colorado Rockies at Los Angeles Dodgers Free MLB Picks for 4/18/15
- Arizona Diamondbacks at San Francisco Giants Free MLB Picks for 4/18/15
- Oakland Athletics at Kansas City Royals Free MLB Picks for 4/18/15
- New York Yankees at Tampa Bay Rays Free MLB Picks for 4/18/15