If you want to be as good as our experts at NFL handicapping then you have to look at this like a year round job. Our experts have plenty of experience and work long hours to make sure that they only give out the best picks on the board each week. There are three basic types of breaking down the odds and we will discuss them all in detail.
This is the use of statistics, power rankings, and matchups to break down a game. There is so much time between games and so few games in a season that you would think that each team is motivated to play each week. This is a bonus for those who like to use statistics to come up with their winner, but on the down side fewer games means fewer stats (think baseball where a handicapper has 162 games to work with). This can mean that just one outlier can skew the averages, especially early in the season. The best NFL handicapper that I know of who uses fundamental handicapping almost exclusively is Rocky Atkinson.
This is of more use in the college game, where teams ride emotional highs and can have let downs, but there is some use in the NFL. If a team is coming off a big win or just beat their bitter rival then you might expect a letdown. Is the team looking for revenge or are they looking ahead to the following week and not paying much attention to the weak team they’ll be facing this weekend? I like situational handicapping in terms of scheduling, so if an east coast team is headed west or if a team is coming off a Monday night game then they won’t be as rested as their opponent.
This is handicapping with trends and stats. I don’t put as much stock into this form of figuring out which teams to do my NFL betting on because of the movement between players and coaches from year to year. How important is it that Team A hasn’t won as an underdog of 10 points or less over the last 10 years if none of the players were even around 10 years ago?
This is when you combine the three forms of handicapping above to determine your winners. I personally use about 60% fundamental, 30% situational, and 10% technical in determining my NFL expert picks each week. Some of the other two guys that rely heavily on the situational and fundamental handicapping styles are Steve Merril and Mike Lineback and I’d say it’s more than a coincidence that these are two of the best in the business when it comes to NFL football handicapping.
General Handicapping Articles
- How to Handicap the NFL – General tips for handicapping NFL games.
- How to Bet the NFL – Several useful general handicapping strategies.
- Tips on Betting the NFL in Week 1 – The first week of the season can be tough to handicap. This guide can help!
- Sharp Money in the NFL – How to identify “sharp money” and what to do with that information.
Advanced Strategy & Research
- Handicapping NFL Bye Weeks – How NFL teams perform against the spread after a week off.
- How to Middle NFL Halftime Lines – Advanced halftime betting strategy.
NFL Preseason Handicapping
- 5 NFL Preseason Betting Tips – Great tips for those who wish to bet on the NFL preseason.
NFL Playoffs Handicapping
- NFL Championship Round Handicapping – Advantages and disadvantages teams face when playing the AFC & NFC Championship games.
- NFL Divisional Playoff Rematches – Research on how divisional teams do when they meet in the playoffs under different situations.
- Teams Off of a Bye in the NFL Playoffs – How teams with a week off in the playoffs perform in their next playoff game.
NFL Handicapping Tools
- NFL Handicappers – We’ve researched and identified the best of the best when it comes to winning in the NFL season after season.
- NFL Standings & ATS Records – How teams are doing against the spread so far this season.
- NFL Trends – Some useful (some not-so-useful) betting trends to use for the NFL.
- Jack’s Free Sports Picks: 10/23
- NFL Teasers of the Week
- NFL Survivor Pool Picks
- Vegas Betting Odds: Bears vs Packers Line & Free Pick
- Week 7 NFL Odds
- Week 6 NFL Odds
- Vegas Line: Jets vs Cardinals Betting Odds & Free Pick
- Free Predictions: Colts vs Texans Betting Line & Spread
- Betting Line: Cowboys vs Packers Free Pick & Point Spread
- Vegas Betting Odds: Broncos vs Chargers Game Line & Preview
- Week 5 NFL Odds
- Vegas Betting Odds: Cardinals vs 49ers Game Line & Point Spread
- Vegas Free Preview: Rams vs. Cardinals Line
- Vegas Free Pick: Titans vs. Texans Game Odds
- Vegas Free Preview: Cowboys vs. 49ers Line