Houston Texans Offseason Needs
The Houston Texans have certainly turned the corner by making the playoffs in each of the last two years. After back-to-back AFC Divisional Round losses, it’s now time for them to take that next step and contend for a Super Bowl. Houston went 12-4 last season, but it faltered down the stretch to essentially give away home-field advantage in the AFC.
An injury to Brian Cushing really made a big difference as the defense wasn’t nearly as dominant without him. The window to win the Super Bowl may be closing, so this needs to be Houston’s year. I’ll take a look at its additions and losses this offseason, as well as its top 5 needs heading into the 2013 NFL Draft.
S Ed Reed
FB Greg Jones
P Shane Lechler
TE/FB James Casey
S Glover Quin
DE/OLB Connor Barwin
RB Justin Forsett
CB Alan Ball
P Donnie Jones
WR Kevin Walter
Top 5 Needs
1. Wide Receiver - The Texans have been looking for a true No. 2 receiver opposite of Andre Johnson for years. While Johnson was superb last season, he isn’t getting any younger. Houston drafted DeVier Posey in Round Three and Keshawn Martin in Round Four last April. Neither made an impact, and Posey tore his ACL in January. With Kevin Walter gone, finding a starting-caliber receiver is a must.
2. Outside Linebacker - Connor Barwin was a big disappointment last year, so the Texans weren’t at all upset to see him walk away. They now could be targeting a pass rusher early in the draft for a third straight year. While Houston is high on Brooks Reed and Whiteney Mercilus, it lacked consistent pressure outside of J.J. Watt in 2012.
3. Offensive Line - Houston needs help at tackle and guard in the draft. ORG Ben Jones and ORT Derek Newton were too inconsistent last year, and OLG Wade Smith is not assured to be back next season. The Texans are high on Jones, Newton and ORG Brandon Brooks, but all three are unproven.
4. Inside Linebacker - Bradie James is not the answer aside Brian Cushing. Neither are Darryl Sharpton or Tim Dobbins. The Texans could surprise and go with a Kevin Minter or an Alec Ogletree in the first round this April.
5. Nose Tackle - Fans have been wanting an upgrade here since coordinator Wade Phillips took over in 2011. Houston has consistently stuffed the run with veterans Shaun Cody and Earl Mitchell despite neither being a dynamic talent. Back issues led to Cody’s play falling off in 2012, which put his future with the organization in jeopardy. Mitchell shined in his absence, but Phillips likes to use him at end. Another big body would be welcomed to at the very least add depth.
More NFL Team Offseason Needs Articles
|AFC West||AFC North||AFC South||AFC East|
|Kansas City Chiefs||Pittsburgh Steelers||Indianapolis Colts||New England Patriots|
|San Diego Chargers||Baltimore Ravens||Jacksonville Jaguars||New York Jets|
|Oakland Raiders||Cleveland Browns||Houston Texans||Miami Dolphins|
|Denver Broncos||Cincinnati Bengals||Tennessee Titans||Buffalo Bills|
|NFC West||NFC North||NFC South||NFC East|
|Seattle Seahawks||Chicago Bears||Atlanta Falcons||Philadelphia Eagles|
|St. Louis Rams||Green Bay Packers||New Orleans Saints||New York Giants|
|San Francisco 49ers||Detroit Lions||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||Dallas Cowboys|
|Arizona Cardinals||Minnesota Vikings||Carolina Panthers||Washington Redskins|